1.10.2012

2012 already gave us a new car

Our new car looks like this one, but our neighborhood has less green and more...grunge.
 Last week we said goodbye to our little white Jetta, also known as little white devil, or little white piece of garbage. Okay, that's a bit harsh, but we were not sad to see it go. I feel like we've spent more money fixing that car than we have on rent since we've been married! (That's a huge lie.) But who knew it would be so unreliable?

So last week when the transmission died, the first thing we did was panic. Actually, first it was anger and pounding on the steering wheel (by Jack, I'm too much of a lady to do that) and then it was panic, mostly on my part. And then things seemed so bad that it just got funny. "Ha, remember the time when our car died and we had no money for a new one? Oh, actually that was yesterday! Haha! Our life is so great!" And then we got it together. We got a rental car and researched and called and ran around town and decided on a price range and we knew our new one had to be a Japanese car, no more of this VW nonsense, and we ended up with a beautiful 2003 Honda Civic! A hybrid!

I know that everyone buys cars, and that this is really not such a big deal, but I feel like I am a real adult now! We bought a car and we aren't going to be homeless! One thing I've noticed is that our problems have always worked themselves out, even though we probably don't deserve it...I'm not sure if I should let this new car experience reinforce our somewhat reckless and unplanned style of life by saying "See? Everything works out, even though we're barely hanging on!" or if I should say "Woah, that was a close one, we should really buckle down and figure life out ASAP." Our 2011 motto was "We'll be fine!" but I think our 2012 motto is going to be "Let's be rational!" As rational as we can be living in LA and chasing dreams, right? For some reason, living life unreasonably just suits me better.

6 comments :

  1. I commend you both for chasing dreams! That's definitely the harder choice and I hope 2012 just equates to it all falling into place. Also, congrats on the awesome car! I had a civic once upon a time and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rationality is an awesome theme for the year! keep it up! Congrats on the honda! i love mine, and never have repair costs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the new car, I bet it feels good and the streets of LA are loving it right back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is too good. My motto is going to be "Let's be nice" or "Let's eat real food not brownies". Lofty! Don't feel pressured about the weekend, we will prob stay for a veeeery short time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hurrah for the new car! As long as you don’t feel guilty about buying a new car, it will all be fine. I purchased a car last year, which is almost the same as yours, but it is of a different color. I have a red one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you got it finally! :) Congratulations on your new ride!

    ReplyDelete